I can draw a lot of similarities between J. Money over at Budgets Are Sexy and myself including level of income, monthly expenses, level of sexiness, etc. That’s why when I saw the life list of things he wants to accomplish, I was reminded of my own.
I feel accountable to complete tasks once I tell other people that I will, so I’m hoping that by keeping a running list here, it will spur me on to do more than just blindly save and make money.
We often make goals for the next week, month, or year, but rarely take the time to write out our goals for the rest of our lives.
Below are just a few of the things I would like to accomplish in my short time on earth.
- Work for only myself. I do a lot of work for myself right now, but still spend the majority of my time working 8-5 for another company. I typically spend 9 hours at work, 8 hours sleeping, 1 hour eating, and 1 hour doing chores and running errands. That leaves 5 hours of personal time for myself and the wife. Having 19 hours a day for work and only 5 hours for play seems just wrong to me. I like working and growing businesses, but I’d much rather be playing golf or traveling most of the time.
- Get a song on the radio and release a full length album. One of the things I spent a lot of time doing before getting an 8-5 job and marrying my wife was writing and recording music. I’ve played the guitar for most of my life and have hundreds of full length songs and ideas recorded. At the very least, I want to hear at least one of my songs played nationally during my lifetime.
- Travel to exotic countries. On top of my dream to go to a Sandals resort for at least two weeks, I want to visit places while I’m young that almost require youth to enjoy the experience. As a photographer, visiting places that humans seldom go is very appealing. I can lay on a beach when I’m old, but in the meantime I want to explore places like the Irish countryside, tiny islands in the middle of nowhere like the Seychelles and the Maldives, and the wilderness of Madagascar…oh, and Antarctica…and…
- Shoot a round of golf under par. I’ve gotten close, and with a mulligan here and a gimme-putt there, I could have had it, but I want to legitimately shoot under par. I used to play quite a bit, but It’s tough to get that good at a sport when you don’t have the time to practice. To reach this goal I will have to free up some time, so this might have to wait until I achieve the first goal on my list.
- Own all my property and vehicles outright. I cannot wait until I can experience the feeling of owing nothing to anybody on my home and vehicles. This is something I’m striving for daily and paying off my truck is ahead of fully funding my retirement accounts. It may not be as financially smart, but it’s a mental thing that I must overcome. Once I do that, I’ll have an extra $450+ per month to put wherever I want.
- Go to an NBA Finals game. Game 7 would be ideal, but I’d settle for any good series. The good news is that I’m slightly friends with a couple NBA players, and better friends with their good friends, so when they reach the playoffs, I may be able to score some good seats and maybe a floor pass or two for cheap.
That’s it for now. I will be adding things as I think of them and crossing things off as I accomplish them.
It’s always liberating to go public with your dreams and get them off your chest. I really would like to hear about your goals for your life. Leave them in the comments below so we can all share together.
Other Life Lists
Below are the life lists of other people I find worthy of posting: